Friday 1 February 2013

Long weekend at Phillip Island

My wife and I are spending a long weekend at Phillip Island with some time for birding :-)

On my way there tonight, I was driving into San Remo as the sun was setting behind clouds so I decided to see if I could catch a shot or two looking over to Cape Woolamai.


...and I even managed to find some birds to put in a photo...

Silver Gull, San Remo

We are staying at a house right at the back of the dunes at the delightfully (but somewhat unimaginatively) named village of Surf Beach. These dunes are covered with Short-tailed Shearwater burrows so I went out at dusk to see the homecoming.

Just after sunset, the sky is filled with thousands of birds

Short-tailed Shearwater, Surf Beach, Phillip Island

all looking for their burrows, some of which require a little excavation 

Short-tailed Shearwater, Surf Beach, Phillip Island

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apologies for the inconvenience but I have had to turn on word verification to avoid spam (I was getting 10-20 a week)

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Birding and Natural History Blogs - Australia

Birding Blogs - Worldwide